Drinking and driving is illegal, but you may still encounter intoxicated drivers when you are here with your Manhattan car hire. By being about to spot these people, you can help keep your family safe by avoiding them and calling the police to report the incident.
Signs of intoxication
When you spot a driver in your Manhattan car hire that you are not sure whether they’ve had too much to drink, there are some signs that are often displayed. The following are some signs of intoxication – keep your eye out for them.
- Quick acceleration or deceleration
- Tailgating – someone who is following you too closely
- Weaving or zig-zagging across lanes, including swerving across lanes
- Driving anywhere other than a road designated for drivers (this is a strong sign)
- Almost hitting something or someone (a strong sign)
- Stopping for no reason or erratic braking
- Signaling that is inconsistent with other driving actions
- Slow response to traffic signals (such as a sudden stop or a delayed start)
- Straddling lanes
- Driving with the headlights off at night
- Going slower than 10 mph below the speed limit (they are trying not to look suspicious)
- Turning abruptly or illegally
- Driving on the wrong side of the road or the wrong way down a one-way
It is important to remember that most of these behaviors may also be exhibited by people who are in a hurry or that are just plain bad drivers. Some signs are a bit stronger of an indicator that someone is intoxicated (such as going the wrong way down the road or driving off the road), but if you have a feeling that someone is intoxicated, don’t ignore your gut. It is important to stay safe in your Manhattan car hire.
What to do
If you suspect that someone is intoxicated while you are on the road with your Manhattan car hire, it is important that you remain safe first and foremost. To do this, stay far behind the suspected drunk driver and get out of their way. They may do unexpected things on the road, such as sudden stopping, so keep your distance and be alert to what they are doing. Make sure you have your seat belt on and that all passengers also do the same. This is one of the greatest safety features in the car, so use it! And you should report suspected and impaired drivers to the police by calling 911. Give them the location, direction of travel, and description of the car/license plate as well as the driver’s behavior. Do not try to pass the car, stop them, follow closely, or confront the driver. Let the police take care of the situation.
Don’t drive drunk
Most importantly, do not drive while intoxicated with your Manhattan car hire. Not only is it illegal, but it will also void your insurance if you are in an accident while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. The best way to keep safe it to not be part of the problem and to report problems as you find them on the road. Take a cab or have a designated driver when you are here.
When you are here with your Manhattan car hire, you probably won’t see an intoxicated driver on the road. But in the event that you do, it is important to recognize the signs and do the right thing to keep yourself and your family safe. For more New York City driver safety tips, check out our blog.