Madame Tussauds is a museum chain for life-size wax replicas of famous people. Having celebrated 260 years of history in 2021, this is not a modern phenomenon, although the experience has become way more interactive with the dawn of technology, like VR and 4D cinemas.
The wax museums are located not only in London, where they originated but in many cities around the world, including this New York Madame Tussauds on historic 42nd Street between 7th and 8th Avenues, Midtown Manhattan. Here is a short guide on what to expect when visiting the site. Click to book your Madame Tussauds New York admission ticket.
Exhibitions and Themes
There are five floors of attraction space and over 200 figures, a number that keeps on growing every few months. To better organize the exhibition, the figures are sorted by themes, some of which break the norm and weigh over 1.5 tons.
One of the more unusual exhibitions is the 2017-opened Skull Island Experience. Made in partnership with Legendary Pictures and Warner Brothers Pictures, the exposition is made to complement the 2017-launched Kong: Skull Island film. And the part that draws the most visitors is the head of the gigantic ape, which took 33 people 72 days to build and equip with state-of-the-art multi-sensory technology for a creepy lifelike experience.
Another big draw of the New York Madame Tussauds is the world-exclusive Ghostbuster Experience that’s inspired by the 2016 Sony Pictures film. Not only will visitors find themselves in the movie scenes, together with the spirit hunting crew from the 2016 reboot, but also battle against a nefarious paranormal activity as part of Ghostbusters: Dimension.
Developed by THE VOID in collaboration with Ivan Reitman, Paul Feig, and Sony Pictures, Madame Tussauds’ guests will be part of a Virtual Reality (VR) experience like no other, tracking and trapping the ghosts in an environment that combines physical props and sets, and real-time interactive effects. Here’s a list of other attractions that you’ll come across at the Tussauds:
- James Bond, featuring wax figures of all six James Bonds: Daniel Craig, Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, and Pierce Brosnan.
- Project Runway, featuring famous supermodels, fashion designers and stars, like Heidi Klum.
- Marvel 4D Experience, which features interactive themed areas, wax figures and a Marvel Super Heroes 4D film adventure. This includes Thro, Hulk, Iron Man, and Captain America.
- Sabot Latino, featuring Selena Quintanilla, Selena Gomez, Ricky Martin, and Jennifer Lopez
- A-List Party, with Morgan Freeman, Sofia Vergara, Taylor Lautner, and Johnny Depp.
- World Leaders, where you’ll find Donald Trump, Barack Obama, Abraham Lincoln.
- Film & TV, featuring Marilyn Monroe, Jon Hamm, Judy Garland, Jimmy Fallon.
- Pop Culture, including Billie Holiday, Mickey Mantle, Spice Girls, Bob Marley.
- Sports, with Lionel Messi, Michelle Kwan, David Wright, Eli Manning.
- Music, featuring Selena Gomez, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Usher.
Visiting Madame Tussauds
Due to the many attractions, there are many tickets and packages to choose from at Madame Tussauds New York. This includes standard admission, group tickets and theme packages, which range in price from around $30 to $50+.
The opening hours vary between 10am – 8pm and 10am – 10pm, but the museum is open every day.
As far as traveling goes, then Times Square, Port Authority, and Bryant Park are the nearest subway stations to orientate by.
Visitors traveling by car may also make use of discounted parking that’s available at ICON/Global Garage located at 143 West 40th Street.
Location: 234 West 42nd Street, New York City, NY
Click here to visit Madame Tussauds official website.